Sunday, February 05, 2006

Zope Stuff

I'm currently revamping some of my code just to clean it up. I'm toying with the idea of porting a bunch of my current Zope projects to Zope3.

A lot of my projects use RDBMS, especially to Postgresql. The SQL support for Zope3 doesn't seem to be there yet though, and my stuff uses a customised, optimised SQL class. I don't particularly want to go through the optimisation stage again, especially not prematurely.

My ExternalFolder Product is also something I'd really like to port to Zope3, it allows you to pretty much map anything to a Zope Folder. An SQL Table, LDAP hierarchy, filesystem. I was toying with allowing you to map a zip file to a Folder, so you could simply navigate it through the web.

XUF is also something I should probably port, and that could probably use the shoddy SQL support currently in Zope3, but, radical changes to Auth stuff isn't something I like doing (and nor do my users), so that will probably have to wait until after support has stabilised. I also have to shore up the Active Directory support (I don't have a domain controller to test against any longer), and do a new release.

Since I'm unemployed at the moment, I'm thinking of doing a web-based game for Zope in my "spare" time, I've got a few ideas;
  • Port Stellar Crisis
  • A Tradewars Clone
  • A (non-graphical) Elite Clone using the 'Text Elite' code that was released.
Stellar Crisis might be good, but, the code is in Pike, and I don't particularly like porting Pike code to Python.

No comments: